Pune (Maharashtra) [India], August 30 (ANI): As the Maratha agitation intensifies over demands for reservation, Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar on Saturday took a jibe at Nationalist Congress Party (SP) chief Sharad Pawar over latter's suggestion of increasing the 50 per cent reservation cap, and said that those who are speaking on the issue were in the government for a long time.
"Those who are speaking now have themselves been in government for a long time, so please don't force us to get into all those things. All of them are respected and experienced leaders," Pawar told reporters here.
"As for the discussion about 50 per cent reservation, it pertains to the period before the Supreme Court order. You journalists should get proper information. You should not ask me these questions. I am not here to answer what anyone has said. I came before you to inform you about some meetings. However, you keep asking me about what someone else has said. Whatever someone has said is their opinion, and I have nothing to do with it. I only believe that the state must function according to the law, rules, and democracy," the Deputy CM said.
Pawar was responding to remarks made by Sharad Pawar, who had suggested the need for a constitutional amendment to resolve the Maratha reservation issue.
Speaking on the efforts of the Mahayuti government in calming the agitation, the Deputy CM stated that Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis and his deputies were working towards resolving the issue.
"At such times, it is our duty to keep trying. The government is continuously making efforts on a war footing to resolve this issue. Everyone in the government is positive about finding the solution. Everyone wants a solution, and the same approach is being taken by the Chief Minister as well as both Deputy Chief Ministers," Pawar said.
He said that the state government has formed a committee comprising 10 cabinet ministers that is attempting to hold a dialogue with the stakeholders.
"Under the chairmanship of Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil, a committee related to this matter has been established, comprising 10 cabinet members, and is attempting to engage with everyone. Through discussion, a solution will eventually emerge. This has always been the history of Maharashtra," Pawar said.
Putting the onus on the Mahayuti government, Rajya Sabha MP Sanjay Raut, earlier in the day, said that it was the responsibility of Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis to end the protest and talk to Jarange Patil directly at Azad Maidan. He warned that without dialogue, the situation could get worse.
"It is the responsibility of the Chief Minister to decide when to end the protest. If the protest has to be ended, then the Chief Minister, along with the entire cabinet, should speak directly with Jarange Patil. The talks should also be held with leaders of prominent opposition parties in Maharashtra. If this doesn't happen, the situation will worsen," Raut said.
Meanwhile, traffic remained affected near Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) in Mumbai, where activists from Maratha community are continuing their protest, demanding reservation.
On Friday, Jarange Patil was granted time till August 30 to continue his protest at Azad Maidan. The Maratha reservation activist intensified his indefinite hunger strike over his demand to include all Marathas under the Kunbi category, a sub-caste classified under the OBC category, which will help the community avail benefits of the reservation in goverment jobs and education.
Earlier, addressing thousands of supporters, Jarange accused the Maharashtra government of failing to address the community's demands and said that protests will happen irrespective of what the Fadnavis government decides regarding permission for agitation.
"If the government enters our territory, the Marathas will enter theirs. I asked the youth to clear Mumbai, and they arranged everything and cleared the city. What more cooperation do you need? Poor kids have come here. What's their fault? They don't have any facilities. If you cause us trouble, we will cause you trouble when we come there," Jarange said.
Patil is known for his advocacy on Marathi reservation issues, has urged supporters to rally peacefully and called on authorities to address community concerns regarding reservation policies. He has held multiple protest rallies and hunger strikes demanding reservation for the Maratha community ahead of the Maharashtra Assembly Elections in 2024.
After the agitation, on February 20, 2024, the Eknath Shinde-led government in the state brought a Bill to extend 10 per cent reservation to Marathas above the 50 per cent mark cap. However, on May 5, 2021, the Supreme Court struck down reservations for the Maratha community in colleges, higher educational institutions, and jobs, after noting that there was no valid ground to breach the 50 per cent reservation while granting Maratha reservation. (ANI)
You may also like
Nicolas Jackson's agent issues statement as Chelsea cancel Bayern Munich transfer
India has ramped up policy focus, public investment for sports: Minister
Haunting final moments of girl, 14, who was left with hospital worker with fake ID
NHAI signs agreement to implement India's first Multi-Lane Free Flow tolling system in Gujarat
Delhi: Two sharpshooters of Kapil Sangwan-Venkat Garg Gang held after encounter